Terms and Conditions
If you are under 18 years of age, please be sure to read the Terms and Conditions with your parent or guardian and ask questions about things you do not understand.
The Terms and Conditions apply to your use of this website, its features and contents (the “Site”). Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully before using and/or registering on the Site because by accessing or using the Site or any mobile versions of it or by linking to it, you signify that you have read, understood and agreed to be bound by the Terms and Conditions. The Terms and Conditions are a legally binding agreement between you and us.
The University is committed to making its content accessible by as many people as possible so the Site follows the University of Cambridge Web Accessibility Policy.
You are responsible for bringing the Terms and Conditions to the attention of anyone who may read material on this Site as a result of your access to it.
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to change, add or delete portions of the Terms and Conditions at any time, which revisions shall be binding upon you should you continue to use the Site.
If you do not wish to agree to or abide by these or any future Terms and Conditions, please do not use or access or continue to use or access the Site.
Any trademarks or logos displayed on the Site are the registered and unregistered trademarks of their respective owners. Nothing contained in the Site shall be construed as a grant of any licence or right to use the trademarks displayed on the Site without the prior written permission of the owner(s).
Copyrights and authorised and permitted uses
We have created and compiled the Site as a free web-based resource that supports the teaching and learning of post-16 A Level mathematics with careful regard for accuracy and integrity of scholarship. We believe that the context and way in which we present material is important to understanding it, and we will improve, modify, enhance, and expand the Site on a continuous basis. Thus, while we recognize that the Site may allow you to access subsets of the material, we urge you to consider the complete context for maximum appreciation and effectiveness.
Copyright and database right
The images, text, data, files, audio, video, illustrations and designs which appear on the Site (in whole or in part, the "Content"), the Site’s collection, arrangement, and assembly of the Content (the "Compilation") and the delivery system and service and underlying software applications, are owned by the University or are used in accordance with applicable law or third party licences or consents.
Subject to these Terms and Conditions, the Content and Compilation on or available through this Site (unless otherwise stated) is:
Copyright © and Database Right 2013-2016 University of Cambridge. All rights reserved.
You are permitted to view, print and download the Content in the Site (and adapt the Content) for personal, non-commercial and Classroom Use only.
This is a non-commercial licence where the use of the Content and Compilation and the Site (in whole or in part and any adaptations or derivative works) for commercial purposes is prohibited.
“Classroom Use” means that we consent to the reproduction, distribution, display, transmission, performance and use of the Content and Compilation by qualified teachers and other educators if done for the limited purpose of classroom or workshop instruction (including online instruction) in a school or other qualified educational organization provided that the Content is not sold or otherwise commercially distributed (“Prohibited Commercial Uses”).
Prohibited Commercial Uses of any Content or the Site (in whole or in part and any adaptations or derivative works thereof) include, but are not limited to:
- Copying or downloading, or linking to the Content or the Site, for further redistribution, sale or licensing, for a fee
- Copying, downloading or posting the Content or the Site by a site or service that incorporates advertising with such content
- The inclusion or incorporation of the Content or the Site in other works or services (other than normal quotations with an appropriate citation) that is then available for sale or licensing, for a fee
- Use of the Content or the Site (other than normal quotations with appropriate citation) by for-profit organizations for promotional purposes, whether for a fee or otherwise
- Use of the Content or the Site for the purposes of monetary reward by means of sale, resale, license, loan, transfer or other form of commercial exploitation.
For the avoidance of doubt, you may not directly or indirectly charge others for accessing, viewing or listening to any Content or the Site (in whole or in part and any adaptations or derivative works thereof), or commercialise or attempt to re-sell the Content or the Site in any way, which includes advertising or selling any goods and services which offers any Content or the Site in third party software applications.
You may not, and you may not assist anyone to, or attempt to, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, adapt, modify, copy, reproduce, lend, hire, rent, perform, sub-license, make available to the public, create derivative works from, broadcast, distribute, commercially exploit, transmit or otherwise use in any way the Content or Compilation of the Site in whole or in part except to the extent permitted in the Terms and Conditions and at law.
Citations and crediting
The above authorised and permitted uses are subject to the following terms:
- You must cite Underground Mathematics and the Site URL https://undergroundmathematics.org as the source of the Content as you would material from any printed work;
- You must include any copyright, trademark, and other proprietary notices, including, without limitation, attribution information, captions and credit lines, which are placed in or near, or otherwise identify, the Content and the Site;
- You must comply with all terms or restrictions other than copyright (such as trademark, privacy rights, or contractual restrictions) as may be specified in the metadata or as may otherwise apply to the Content or the Site.
Prohibited uses of the Site
You may use the Site only for lawful purposes. You may not use the Site:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with the Content Standards below
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam)
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of the Site
- any equipment or network on which the Site is stored
- any software used in the provision of the Site
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
You may not subject the Content or the Site to any derogatory treatment or use the Content or the Site in such a way that would bring the University into disrepute or cause the University to incur liability to any third party.
Site registration and your username and password
Where you are invited to register or login on the Site, you may be asked to provide specific information and may be allocated with or may be asked to choose a unique username and/or password that gives you access to your Site account. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your username and password, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur through your Site account. You agree to immediately notify us if you become aware of any unauthorised use of your password or Site account or any other breach of security. We cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with these requirements.
We normally show your name or username (and school if applicable) with submissions you may make to the Site unless you request otherwise, but for operational reasons this is not always possible.
We may refuse to grant you a username that impersonates someone else, is or may be protected by trademark or other intellectual property rights, is offensive or otherwise inappropriate, as determined by us in our sole discretion.
User Contributions to the Site
Any communication or material you post, transmit, or distribute to the Site by electronic mail, through interactive features of the Site such as a discussion forum or blog, or otherwise, including any images, data, concepts, know-how, or other content, questions or comments (collectively, the “Contribution”), will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain copyright in your Contribution (so you may continue to use your material you contribute in any way). You grant to the University a world-wide, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and non-exclusive right and licence to copy, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, broadcast, transmit, display, perform, rent, lend and communicate to the public your Contribution in whole or part in any form, media or technology now known or hereafter developed. For the avoidance of doubt, this licence will be free of charge, perpetual and capable of sub-license. By submitting a Contribution you acknowledge that you waive any moral rights you may have in it.
If the Contribution is made available to the public in the Site, you grant other users of the Site a limited licence to use, store and distribute your Contribution and make it available to others, without your permission, in any medium throughout the world.
We normally show your username (and school if applicable) with contributions you may make to the Site unless you request otherwise.
If you do not want to grant us these rights, please do not submit a Contribution to the Site.
These content standards apply to any Contribution you submit to the Site.
- Be accurate (where they state facts)
- Be genuinely held (where they state opinions)
- Comply with applicable law in the UK and the law of the country from which they are posted
- Be made in your personal (rather than business) capacity and that such contribution does not unfairly promote or further any business activities and has not been contributed for commercial gain
- Confirm the consent of anyone who is identifiable in the Contribution, e.g. in an image, or the consent of their parent/guardian if they are under 18 years of age
Contributions must not:
- Contain material that is libellous, defamatory, threatening, abusive, obscene, unlawful, or that advocates, promotes or assists any unlawful act or illegal activity
- Promote discrimination of the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, race, religion, or nationality
- Contain any viruses or other code, file, or program that is designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment
- Attempt to circumvent, disable, or override any encryption features or other protections of the Site
- Infringe any copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right of any person or organisation, i.e. post others’ content which you do not have permission to use
- Contain any advertising, promotional, or solicitation material
- Be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence
- Be threatening, harass, abuse or invade another's privacy or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to any person
- Be used to impersonate any person or to misrepresent the contributor's identity or affiliation with any person or organisation
- Harvest or collect email addresses or other contact information or use automated scripts to collect information from or otherwise interact with the Site
- Reveal any confidential or sensitive information
- Reveal any personal information on other persons (for example, email address, telephone number or postal address)
- Imply that any statements you make are endorsed by us
- Falsify the origin or source of any content in the Contribution
- Use or attempt to use another’s account, service or system without authorisation, register for more than one account or register on behalf of another individual, group or entity
- Reformat or frame any portion of the web pages that are part of the Site, deep link into it without permission.
We are under no obligation to moderate any discussion forum or blog or other interactive service on the Site or Contribution submitted to the Site. We reserve the right to review, edit, disable or remove without warning any Contribution that in our sole discretion we deem to be offensive, defamatory, abusive, obscene or off-topic or breaches the Content Standards or which we deem unlawful or in violation of any third party rights. Notwithstanding the foregoing, and to the fullest extent permitted by law, the University accepts no responsibility or liability to any third party for the content or accuracy of any material posted by any user of the Site.
You are solely responsible for your interactions with other users of the Site. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other users.
If you find objectionable or offensive material please let us know as soon as possible by contacting us, at the contact details given at the end of the Terms and Conditions.
We do not undertake to keep or make available any Contribution or other material that you or anyone else has contributed to the Site for any length of time or at all. We reserve the right to delete, archive, make unavailable, modify or comment on any material, and close or suspend any discussion topic at any time without notice.
Disclaimers and limitation of liability
The Site is provided on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis. To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to the Site or any Content on it, whether express or implied.
We will not be liable to any user for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with use of, or inability to use, the Site or use of or reliance on any Content displayed on the Site.
In no event shall the University be liable to any party for any of the following losses or damages (whether such losses be foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise): loss of data, loss of revenue or anticipated profits, loss of business, loss of opportunity, loss of goodwill or injury to reputation, loss suffered by third parties, any indirect, special, incidental, or consequential loss or damages arising out of use of the Site or reliance on any material or services provided in the Site or accessed through it, whether or not amended by third parties and regardless of form of action.
We cannot guarantee and do not promise any specific results from use of the Site.
Unless stated otherwise, the Site may contain advice, opinions, statements or other information by various authors or organisations. Reliance upon any such advice, opinion, statement or other information is at your risk and to the extent permitted by law the University disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such information by your use of the Site or by anyone who may be informed of such information.
We cannot guarantee that the Site will always be available or be uninterrupted or free from bugs, viruses, errors and omissions and disclaim all liability in this regard.
Linking to our Site
You may link to our Site, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
Our Site must not be framed on any other website.
Third party links and resources in our Site
The Site may contain links to third party websites. The University has no control over the contents of those websites or resources and accepts no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them, nor does the inclusion of any link in the Site imply our endorsement of any website or any association with its operators. These third party websites and resources have their own privacy, copyright and terms and conditions and we urge you to review them.
Notice and takedown
We have made reasonable efforts to ensure that the reproduction of material on the Site is done with the full consent of rights owners and/or in accordance with relevant legislative provisions. We welcome any information that would help us update or complete our records. If you are a rights holder and are concerned that you have found material on the Site for which may be misattributed or is not covered by statutory exception please contact us writing at the contact details provided at the end of these Terms and Conditions with your contact details that will permit us to contact you, including an address, telephone number, and, if available, an email address at which you may be contacted, full details of the material’s creator, the exact and full URL where you found the material and a statement that you are the rights holder or are the authorised representative of the rights holder.
By using this Site in any manner, you represent and warrant that your use will be in accordance with the Terms and Conditions. You agree to indemnify the University from all claims, causes, costs, expenses, fees (including reasonable administrative and legal costs), judgments, liabilities, losses, and damages arising from or relating to your Contribution to or your use of the Site.
The University may immediately suspend or terminate your access to the Site without notice if any breach of the Terms and Conditions by you is brought to our attention. The Terms and Conditions shall also apply after your registration is suspended or terminated.
We exclude liability for actions taken in response to breaches of terms in the Terms and Conditions.
The responses described in this policy are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
Failure to comply with the Terms and Conditions constitutes a material breach of the terms upon which you are permitted to use the Site, and may result in our taking all or any of the following actions:
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use the Site
- Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any Contribution or material you have made to the Site.
- Issue of a warning to you
- Legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach
- Further legal action against you
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary.
The University's failure or delay to exercise or enforce any right in these Terms and Conditions does not waive the University's right to enforce that right.
If any of the terms of the Terms and Conditions should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any country in which these Terms and Conditions are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within that jurisdiction in which that term is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from the Terms and Conditions and the remaining terms shall survive and remain in full force and effect and continue to be binding and enforceable.
Third party rights
Nothing in this agreement shall confer on any third party any right or benefit under the provisions of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999, meaning that the Terms and Conditions do not create or infer any rights that are enforceable by any person who is not party to the Terms and Conditions.
You may not assign, sub-license or otherwise transfer any of your rights and obligations in the Terms and Conditions to any other person.
Governing law and jurisdiction
The University makes efforts to ensure that its publications and the Site fully meet the requirements of English law and foreign laws of any country where it is intended for such content to be viewed. In the event that a foreign country's law may not be fully complied with, then the University shall be deemed not to be directing such content to that particular country.
The University’s registered office is at The Old Schools, Trinity Lane, Cambridge CB2 1TN, United Kingdom.
The University’s Centre for Mathematical Sciences runs Underground Mathematics and welcomes all enquiries including feedback on how to improve the content and the site.
Phone +44 1223 766 857
Centre for Mathematical Sciences
Cambridge CB3 0WA
For technical queries email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © and Database Right 2013-2016 University of Cambridge. All rights reserved.
Last updated 29 March 2016